[Freeswitch-users] Silence Suppression from an Audio Conference

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Tue Mar 24 18:06:35 MSK 2015

There is a setting listed in

https://freeswitch.org/confluence/display/FREESWITCH/mod_conference

energy-level

which acts as a noise gate. If you set this number high enough, the conference bridge will only admit audio from a conferee when it detects speech (or noise?) from him.

HOWEVER, there used to be a conference flag named “waste” that told the conference to “waste bandwidth” by transmitting packets all the time, even when there was no audio contained in them; now that flag has been eliminated and I understand that the conference bridge always sends packets. If I have this correct, then even the noise gate will not reduce your bandwidth.

I recommend you test this theory in case it is helpful and please report back with your findings.

Thanks.

Bote