[Freeswitch-users] Is FAXing reliable on FreeSwitch w/ T.38

bruce at sqls.net bruce at sqls.net
Fri May 2 06:32:02 MSD 2014

I've tried for a pretty long time to get faxing to work over SIP and I
haven't had the best success either.

But.. The Commtrex SmartATA seems to work better then most other ATAs
I've used.  Also, the Audiocodes HTTPS fax works well but your tied to a
vender that can support them like faxsipit, faxback, etc.    I also have
a FS server running a couple of LUA/Sqlite scripts as a fax 2 email
system and an Asterisk system with a a php web form for users to use
when sending faxes (I'm going to convert that over to FS when I get more
time to work on my LUA script).  With the server I get about 80-85%
success rate but that includes occasional voice callers as well and it's
a bit (in a way) inaccurate because often a fax caller will try 2-3
times if there's a failure.  Sometimes a 2nd attempt works and other
times it's just 2-3 failures.  Anyhow, 85% isn't that great but it's not
horrible, I guess..

Also, I'm using flowroute which by the way has outstanding support and
they've helped me out A LOT with fax issues.

I really want to find some ways to tweak or whatever the system to get
in the 90-95% range.  I wish I knew enough to debug the various spandsp
errors to know if there's something on my side I can change or adjust to
improve the success rates.