[Freeswitch-users] [OL]Re: best way to receive FAXs

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Wed Jul 9 22:50:56 MSD 2014

After running FreeSWITCH for a couple of years for our office voice phone
system, I trying to get incoming FAX to work.

I followed the recommendation in the wiki, and set up a DID number this way:

  <extension name="inbound_fax">
    <condition field="destination_number" expression="^(my_fax)$"
require-nested="false">
      <condition field="${cond(${caller_id_name} == ${caller_id_number}
?true:false)" expression="^true$">
        <action application="set"
data="effective_caller_id_name=${cidlookup(${caller_id_number})}"/>
        <anti-action application="playback" data="silence_stream://2000"/>
      </condition>
      <action application="set" data="fax_enable_t38_request=true"/>
      <action application="set" data="fax_enable_t38=true"/>
      <action application="rxfax" data="/tmp/FAX-${uuid}.tif"/>
      <action application="hangup"/>
    </condition>
  </extension>

I attempted to send a fax from an ordinary fax machine connected to a POTS
AT&T line. The freeswitch.log file is not very helpful, it just says the
fax was not successful. But I think I may have a clue from the behavior.
When rxfax starts, I hear what sounds like the normal FAX answer tone, and
my FAX stops sending the CNG tone. But the answer tone (is it the CED?)
just keeps going. After a long time, I hear a brief lower pitched tone,
then it goes back to the answer tone, until my fax machine gives up and
hangs up.

There doesn't seem to be a description for this symptom in the wiki
documentation.

My provider is Flowroute. I'm using FreeSWITCH Version 1.2.7.

--
Steve