[Freeswitch-users] Profiles and Gateways

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:05:11 MSD 2014

A profile is FS listening on a specific IP:port. Associated with that port
are various settings, such as auth codecs etc. The result is you can use
multiple profiles to listen on multiple IPs and/or ports, and those can use
different configurations so that you might for example have one port that
anyone can send calls to you on and another more privileged port that
requires you authenticate.

One way to send calls out is to use the dialstring
sofia/profilename/destination at ipaddress ... this'll send the call out from
the IP:port of that profile.

Gateways are configured on a profile. The profile they're configured on
determines the IP:port they send the registrations and calls out from.
Additionally they'll only be up if that profile is running.