[Freeswitch-users] UK SIP Trunk providers

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 18:02:58 MSK 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Alex Kinch <alex at alexkinch.com> wrote:
> I don't often post on this list (which is why I'm replying to the digest -
> apologies if we've moved on since then), but I just wanted to comment on a
> few things in this thread.
>
> @Richard - when you talk about SIP trunks, it's probably best if you clarify
> whether you're looking for a 'retail' solution e.g. something you can use
> yourself in an office environment for a PBX, FS box, etc or resell to
> clients that want to do the same) or wholesale - whereby you're going to be
> aggregating traffic from multiple customers via SIP trunks, hosted PBX, etc
> etc. There'll be a few differences both technically and commercially between
> these two offerings - e.g. most wholesale providers will only deliver
> inbound traffic to a SIP URI, and will more often than not expect traffic to
> originate from one or more static IP addresses.
>
> @Cal not sure what AQL ratecard you're looking at that charges 26ppm for UK
> Mobile Orange, I'd hazard a guess you need to divide that by 10? Even when
> you do that's still a little on the  expensive side for wholesale.

Take a look at http://www.aql.com/telecoms/site/aql_tariff.pdf
Page 257, peak is £0.128, off peak is £0.269.

I asked them about this before and they said "the majority of our
customers make calls during the day, so we charge more during the
evenings".

I lol'd hard.

> Wholesale providers charge minimums as they are, as the name suggests,
> wholesale. They are high volume low margin operations, and often don't sell
> 'retail' services direct to the public - e.g. Magrathea, Simwood - and will
> (last time I checked) require you to sign a declaration that you qualify to
> be a wholesale customer.

Correct.

In hindsight I should have perhaps clarified with OP on whether his
usage was going to be commercial or wholesale.

> Gamma, BT, Kingston etc obviously do have retail offerings but also have
> separate wholesale divisions. Gamma and BT (and I'd imagine Kingston too)
> will also provide you retail services that you can white label and sell on
> to your customers under your own brand - no equipment required.
>
> Companies like Gradwell, AQL (who jointly own  a third party called
> Telephony Services, who you might have come across), SureVoip, SipGate are
> (in my humblest opinion) retail providers. They may also have white label
> offerings like the above.
>
> Now... if after all that you fit into the wholesale customer category, you
> might want to split your requirements into UK and international, and again
> split inbound (numbering) from outbound. Why? Because as (I believe) Andrew
> said, there's no one service that'll meet all your needs.

Agreed

> Example: Voxbone will happily provide you numbers in umpteen countries, but
> you'll find that they're i) expensive for UK numbering (actually they're
> expensive full stop, but that's just my personal opinion), ii) there is a
> minimum spend, and iii) they won't help you much with your outbound
> requirements (except for 999/112/911 etc traffic in a few countries).
> Likewise, Magrathea and Simwood wouldn't be a bad choice for UK numbers, but
> if you want numbering in the US, Australia, etc, they're probably not going
> to be able to help.

Agreed