[Freeswitch-users] New codec integration and concurrent calls limitquestions

Stephen Dame sdame at 207me.com
Thu May 16 22:37:08 MSD 2013

Fernando,  if it’s BigBluebutton your referring to  a couple of things.

Since it is currently a flash client,  you are limited to codecs you can
use.  BBB is using speex/16 which takes more cpu cycles to mix in mod
conference.   Getting 8-10 speex users mixing takes up a standard core,
so you can project how it scales based on hardware thrown at it.

Also red5 is used for streaming video, etc, and this needs cpu cycles.

There are no limits to BBB in software, and you can run very much larger
conference than 25 if you scale the hardware appropriately.  You can even
distribute the app across multiple servers.

Getting a proprietary codec from client to FreeSWITCH would be a challenge.

The <25 in BBB forums is intended to set expectations for user setting up
standard single server implementations.

Regards,

Stephen

Hostbbb.com