[Freeswitch-users] Removing echo.

Sean Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Sun Mar 17 19:56:11 MSK 2013

I feel your pain.  The number one complaint from my customers switching to
VOIP is the frequent presence of echo.  Many times the echo is quite quiet
and is easily ignored.  Other times it is neither soft nor a short delay
increasing the annoyance level.  (The number 2 complaint is delay in
connecting to the number being called).

I have read LOTS of articles and blogs and wikis on the subject.  The
prevailing wisdom seems to be:

1.   The echo is always caused by the phone or equipment on the far end of
your call!  Presumably the phone or device on the far end of the call does
not have good echo cancellation.  My question is "If so, why is it ALMOST
exclusively a VOIP problem?"  Also, for FS developers, "Why is it so much
more prevalent than when I was on Vonage for years?"

2.   VOIP is clearer than analog.  The times when nobody is speaking on VOIP
can even cause "Are you still there?" questions.  That exacerbates the echo
problem.  When the quite levels are SO quiet, a little echo goes a long way.

3.   A significant number people have just adopted the idea that "Echo is
part of life, get used to it.  Also, tell the person you are talking to they
need a phone upgrade."  I will attest to having had my business partner
switch from speaker to handset to headphone and noticed a perceivable
difference in echo levels.

So, Anthony et. al. is this something that COULD be addressed if we put a
ransom on it or is it just beyond the scope of what can be done in FS?
Analog providers and Vonage have addressed the issue to the point that
people are content.  My customers are far from content.  I THINK we could
raise some real money if this is fixable - I would start the pot with a
couple of hundred bucks. On the other hand, I am ignorant of the underlying
issues and those other folks may have very expensive hardware addressing the
issue. Please educate me.

As a follow up question, does my VOIP topology affect this issue?  I use a
fairly large, fast, dedicated server collocated at my primary VOIP provider
for fastest connect speeds.  ALL of my users (and I) are remote connects.  I
get varying levels of echo calling from my Cisco SPA504G in Baltimore to my
partner on his Cisco504G in Milwaukee on the same FS box. Granted it is
usually quite low levels in that scenario, but it is sporadically quite
annoying.  The worst part is having NO ANSWER for (new) customers.

Sean