[Freeswitch-users] SaltStack + deployment techniques

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 16:59:17 MSK 2013

Changed topic to be more relevant..

Agreed, saltstack is wonderful.. we're using it in combination with
Atlassian Bamboo with a similar outcome, we push a release button for a
specific workflow, and salt takes care of all the steps;

* Compile stack components into deb packages (for example freeswitch,
backend web applications etc) and place on local mirror
* Performs unit test in the build steps
* Fire up a bare instance with salt taking care of installation and
ensuring services are running
* SIP balancer (freeswitch) moves traffic between the switch instances to
allow for rapid release fail over, and a real staging environment.. if
there is a problem with a release, we can quickly switch back to the
previous release at the LB.. if there is no problem, the old release
instance is terminated
* Traffic balancer takes care of moving traffic between the API/MySQL
instances
* Stack runs uwsgi/django/nginx/freeswitch
* We use new relic / pingdom / cacti for monitoring
* Code is kept in GIT

I'm still not entirely happy with the overall procedure and always looking
for new/better ways to improve it.. but SaltStack is a clear winner,
leaving puppet/chef in it's dust.

Cal