[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH Release Announcements, Release Notes and Change Logs?

Markus von Arx mkvonarx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 13:43:46 MSD 2013

I think the mentioned announcement places like the conference call or
mailing lists or Git/Fisheye a just a bit too hardcore for the more
"casual" FreeSWITCH user like myself. I don't want to participate in a
conference call every week or subscribe to a busy mailing list to find out
about new releases. I need a place to go looking if/when I have the time
(and need).

My suggestion is that the project creates some kind of clean download page
(not cluttered with compilation instructions etc.) like most other open
source projects (e.g. Firefox), where every visitor can immediately see the
current release(s) (stable, beta, nightly) with a direct download link plus
the release notes with a neat list of changes for each release (neat =
short; not the full list of Git commits).

Also this list of changes (release notes, change log) is really important
to persons like me. Of course one could dig into Git and diff the
repository to find these changes. Again only viable for the hardcore users.
Everybody else needs a compiled list of changes to assess a new release as
the basis to decide whether to upgrade or not (what are the benefits, what
are the risks).

Just my thoughts.

Markus