[Freeswitch-users] Encrypted RFC2833 DTMF

James Cloos freeswitch at jhcloos.com
Mon Jun 3 04:19:55 MSD 2013

Goog found this:

http://enterprise.huawei.com/ilink/enenterprise/download/HW_U_149094

which says:

,----< excerpt from HW_U_149094.pdf §35.3 >
| Huawei NGN Cipher Version1 (HNC1) is a patented algorithm of Huawei
| and supports the 122/256-bit key.  In encryption, the softswitch
| (SoftX3000) of Huawei is required to cooperate.  Currently, HNC1 is
| used in the application scenarios in which the UA5000 works with the
| SoftX3000.
`----

It also says that those two products encrypt the rfc2833 traffic with
that algorithm, w/o implying that it is part of 2833.

As for why it is useful to encrypt the 2833 w/o also encrypting the
voice, I can only speculate.  Perhaps some idiosyncrasy of PRC law?
Or to provide better integrity?

-JimC