[Freeswitch-users] Jira and Developers requesting more information

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Thu Jul 11 02:13:38 MSD 2013

Greeting FreeSWITCHers!

So, I hate to do this, but we¹ve got the perfect example here of a ticket in
Jira...

http://jira.freeswitch.org/browse/FS-4918

Last December, the reporter gives us a fairly good bug report with most of
the good information, but also Anthony was able to deduce a possible
problem, and present a patch. Several days later the reporter comes back
that the patch solves a segfault issue, but the developer requested more
information as he added some debugging into the patch to issolate the root
cause...

This tells me this patch probably fixes the issue, but theres a possibility
that the problem may still be lurking int he shadows for later...

Now here we are 5 months later and the reporter hasn¹t responded with the
requested info and we are left with nothing to do but close the ticket
knowing he hasn¹t poped back up complaining about the segfault and nothing
more.

Now, you may be asking whats the problem here, the problem has been fixed?

The problem comes from the fact as part of his commitment to supporting
FreeSWITCH, Anthony (the developer) committed a fair bit of his time to
track down and fix the issue for which he asked in trade nothing but more
information... Which is well with in the spirit of Open Source Software...
But the reporter kinda left us hanging here. He got a developer to work on
(and probably fix) his problem but doesn¹t pay the developer back for his
work with the needed requested...

And now we have another open stale bug waiting around on the reporter who
will probably never submit the info...

So please if the developer ask for more info give it to them, that¹s what
are you are expected to do in exchange for their time at the very least.

TL;DR version... If developers ask for more info, don¹t be a tool, give them
the requested info...

--
Ken
http://www.FreeSWITCH.org