[Freeswitch-users] Trouble autostarting freeswitch on boot

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Feb 10 23:05:03 MSK 2013

Hello,
I am trying to work out how to get freeswitch to be automatically be
started when I boot the system.

First of all I tried using ArchLinux to run freeswitch as that is the
distribution of Linux I am most familiar with. I compiled freeswitch
using the AUR package
(https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeswitch-git/). If I just run
freeswitch from the command line it runs fine. As ArchLinux uses systemd
for start up, I tried the systemd service file linked to in the AUR
package and also tried modifying the one included from the debian
directory (modifying paths as appropriate). Neither worked, the AUR
package I think gave exit codes of 214 and the freeswitch debian one I
cannot remember (although its probably the same as I am getting with
debian).

I decided as the Debian one was written for Debian, and may be there
might be something Debian specific in that service file I would try on a
Debian system. Still no luck, the service just fails to start, although
running freeswitch from the command line works fine. On Debian I first
got an error from the mkdir command (looked like it was to do with the
directory not existing, probably caused by the WorkingDirectory line
referring to the directory the mkdir command creates) so I decided to
create /run/freeswitch manually and then try again to start the
freeswitch service, but it still fails, this time at the launching of
freeswitch which gets the SEGV signal.

Also on debian I tried the sysvinit script from the debian folder of the
freeswitch distribution, and while I get a message appearing saying
backgrounding the process, freeswitch fails to continue to run.

Ideally I want it so that I can control the freeswitch process, so using
systemd seems a reasonable choice, but I will consider other options
which meet that ability to control/monitor the process.

A search on the internet does not seem to be yielding any answers to
this problem. How can I get this running?

I might consider another distribution, but it must be one which will run
on the raspberrypi as that will be where it will be run in the end. I
did try the ArchLinux stuff on both an X86_64 system as well as the
raspberrypi, Debian, I mainly tried on the RaspberryPi using the
raspbian distribution.

Any help would be welcome as I have reached the point that I cannot
think of anything else to try other than another system than FreeSwitch.

Michael Whapples