[Freeswitch-users] Metaswitch perimeta SBC - any thoughts?

Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd] cal.leeming at simplicitymedialtd.co.uk
Tue Apr 9 21:41:28 MSD 2013

We attempted to use FreeSWITCH as an SBC but came up against problems
scaling.

Instead my idea was to place a dumb proxy in front of lots of FreeSWITCH
instances, with two profiles exposed.. one for UC registrations, and
another for the backend FS instances. When a UC sends a register, it
forwards the request to a backend, if it was successful then a persist
entry is created. If a user tried to call another user in the same domain
(or another domain that we hold), it would send the request through to the
SBC, the SBC would then check the persistance table for an entry for that
user, and redirect the query to the appropriate server where the user was
currently registered. If no entry was found, a random server would be
picked to handle voicemail and redirects etc. Any INVITEs would also have
their SIP/SDP re-written to allow RTP proxying as well for full topology
hiding. This allows a single domain to be spread across an unlimited amount
of servers. In theory the bottleneck would be the speed of which the SBC
can proxy packets.. initial tests show that a python prototype can forward
approx 350mbit/sec on a single thread (using eventlet) before it starts to
choke, and we were able to saturate a gbit link with zero packet loss and
jitter using 8 threads (that's with full SIP/SDP parsing too). We've tested
using the F5 and Stingray too, but their throughput isn't as good.

However, my concern is that no one (from what I can tell) is using this
approach to scale voice platforms, and this makes me question whether or
not it is the correct thing to do.

Cal