[Freeswitch-users] Spandsp mulated modems inbound/no /dev/FS* device?

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Fri May 18 13:15:05 MSD 2012

On 18/05/12 09:34, Anita Hall wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> Many thanks for the reply.
>
> Do I need t38modem if I am already receiving the Fax calls over E1 via
> a Sangoma Card in my FS machine ? I read on the list that Hylafax
> takes audio and the only reason you needed t38modem was because your
> FS was getting calls over SIP.

Anita,

Yes, you do if you want to use Hylafax and need inbound faxing, because
it needs a modem device. T38Modem provides that (eg /dev/ttyT38x).

> This is my topology
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Hylafax <-------->|______| <-------> FreeSWITCH <---------> E1

Pretty much the same as mine in effect.

So you would need

Hylafax <-------->T38Modem<-------> FreeSWITCH/t38gateway <---------> E1

So hylafax speaks "Fax data" to T38modem, which speaks T38 to
FreeSwitch, which gateways to/from audio over the E1. You may need to
change my configs a bit to get that last bit working, maybe not.

> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> Since Hylafax is already taking audio calls, may be I do not need the
> t38modem ? If not, can Hylafax take audio calls directly from FreeSWITCH ?

Not unless the inbuilt modem can be made to be an endpoint for calls
from coming in from the E1, which I understand at present it cannot.
This is because Hylafax does not send and receive audio itself, it talks
fax control commands to modems and sends and receives data over a serial
port.

> This is your topology (taken from your mails in the list)
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Hylafax<---Audio---->t38modem<---T38--->Freeswitch/t38gateway<----G.711/SIP--->Mitel
> 3300(T38 unsupported, grr)<---ISDN30---->PSTN
> ~~~~~~~~~

Actually the Mitel does support T38 with a license. The thing I'm not
sure about is how good its gatewaying to ISDN is.

Cheers

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)