[Freeswitch-users] Commercial Fax over T.30 for FreeSWITCH

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu May 3 18:56:35 MSD 2012

Hi Anita,

What are you hoping to get from a commercial solution? You won't get
improved reliability. If you go with the Digium solution support seems
to be limited to an offer of a refund. I have helped a number of FAX for
Asterisk users move to spandsp to improve their performance.

What are you actually doing? Are you simply sending and receiving FAXes
on a Sangoma E1 card? If that gives you anything less than 99.5%
success, something is wrong in your setup. A timing problem with the E1
is the most likely cause. Not the motherboard or the kernel. The E1
interface itself. You MUST make the PSTN the source of the clock for the
E1. If you make your card the source you WILL have serious problems with
reliability.

Using T.38 gateway operation to interwork between the PSTN and VoIP can
give additional problems, as some system do strange things with the
signaling, or don't open the right ports when the call switches from RTP
to UDPTL. If those things are sorted out, and your IP interface is not
losing lots of packets, you should have few failures.

Steve