[Freeswitch-users] Codec 101 - need help with the basics

ocset ocset at the800group.com
Thu Jun 21 11:09:35 MSD 2012

Hi

I need some assistance in understanding the codec minefield.

When a stream of audio is sent to FreeSWITCH (FS) using a particular
codec, does FS just pass it on or is there some level of translation
occurring?

I guess my question relates to a situation where an FXO gateway
(GXW410x) uses the G723 codec and the receiing phone does not have a
matching codec (the phone has G.722, G.711 a law, G.711 u law, G.726 and
G.729 as options). How is this managed by the phone, FreeSWITCH and the
FXO device? Should I be setting something in FS to handle this issue?

I have 2 cordless Siemens C610 IP phones an I am having sound quality
issues (incoming sound is soft) and I was wondering how big a part the
codec plays in this equation. I have desk phones that are from the same
manufacturer as the FXO gateway (Grandstream) and they have very good
sound quality.

Calling internally between all the phones has crystal clear sound.

Thanks in advance