[Freeswitch-users] Am I using play_and_detect_speech correctly?

x.liu x.liu at hw.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 11:59:37 MSD 2012

Hi Chris,

Okay, thanks! I will have tries to see how it works.

For the normal use of the app: play_and_detect_speech, will it resume
previous ASR session,
or will it stop previous session and restart a new session each time
when I issue it via ESL?

For the app of detect_speech, I can first to start an ASR session by
"detect_speech speechMod grammar grammarPath",
then I can do "detect_speech pause", or "detect_speech resume" or
"detect_speech stop".
But for play_and_detect_speech, I am not sure how it works in terms of
starting, pause, resume/restart sequence.

The play_and_detect_speech is a very good, useful app as it supports the
barge-in. So we definitely need to use it.

Thanks!

Xing

On 07/31/2012 12:53 AM, Christopher Rienzo wrote:
> You are using that APP in a way that hasn't been tested.  Try to do
> "speech_detect pause" and see if that helps.  It will reserve your ASR
> session for reuse while "speech_detect stop" will tear it down
> completely.  If that doesn't work, open a jira ticket and attach a
> full call trace.  It's difficult to understand exactly what is
> happening from your description.
>

> Chris
>

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Liu, Xingkun <X.Liu at hw.ac.uk
> <mailto:X.Liu at hw.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am using play_and_detect_speech with Java ESL in my IVR
>     applications.
>
>     Previously I call it again each time after I receive any
>     recognition event,
>     like recognition complete, no-input-timeout, or recognition-timeout,
>     it seems to work fine.
>
>     Now I have changed my app to issue play_and_detect_speech command
>     based on
>     my available system utterances as well as the speech event.
>
>     I.e., I use a separate thread to constantly check if there is a
>     system utterance coming in
>     from another component of my application, if there is any
>     utterance I issue the command which will
>     speak the new utterance and listen to user input no matter whether
>     or not previous
>     command has finished. And if there is any speech event
>     (recognition result, timeout etc.)
>     the play_and_detect_speech command is also issued but with playing
>     silence.
>
>     Obviously the new command will stop the utterance speaking of the
>     previous command if it is not finished.
>
>     My question is
>
>     will the new play_and_detect_speech command also stop the previous
>     ASR listening
>     or will there be many ASR listening channel and sending speech
>     data (or silence) to ASR server?
>
>     Do I need to explicitly issue a "stop" commnad before issuing a
>     new play_and_detect_speech?
>     If yes, how to do that, by "detect_speech stop"?
>
>     Recently there is a network traffice problem (lots of connections
>     /data transportation to the ASR server machine)
>     when I am running my application. I am not sure if this is because
>     of other issues
>     or because of my new changes to the way of using
>     play_and_detect_speech.
>
>     Please any one could shed a light on this?
>
>     Many thanks!
>
>     Xing

>     *Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times Scottish University of
>     the Year 2011-2012.*
>
>     We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers
>     to join us in leading and driving research in key
>     inter-disciplinary themes. Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders
>     <http://www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders> for further information and
>     how to apply.
>
>     Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under
>     charity number SC000278.

> [...]

Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.