[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH in a University Environment

envelopes envelopes sunwood360 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 06:16:05 MSK 2012

On Jan 10, 2012 1:32 PM, "Michael Collins" <msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM, <cmrienzo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That university has switched back to Cisco.
>>
> Yeah, they used Asterisk before FreeSWITCH was available and mature. The
problem they ran into with Asterisk at SHSU was they needed people full
time to baby sit their * servers and make ridiculous patches all day.

^^^^ that is exactly the issue here either : when somebody asks a question
on the board, the answer is always: have you upgraded to header version? Or
do not use it.

Enterprise can't afford patch& upgrade daily. You guys need to take a
strategy to release and support. For instance, two release: stable release
will has a life span 3 years and be supported. Test release with latest
features.

They ended up spending a lot of money on people. With Cisco, they get to
spend all that money on equipment, licensing, etc.

> I don't know of any large campuses using FreeSWITCH. Depending on the
needs of the campus the CudaTel might work. Bare FreeSWITCH servers w/
OpenSIPS would also be an interesting solution but you'll still need to
have someone be a "vendor" for support, etc. FSS will do support contracts
on the FreeSWITCH stuff but you still need someone for the OpenSIPS side. I
know Bogdan (from OpenSIPS) does that, as does Flavio Goncalves (OpenSIPS
trainer, author).

> It sounds to me like you could save a bundle with OSS but it will take a
coordinated effort and you must definitely get experts to spec out the
install before hand.