[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH in a University Environment

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Jan 11 00:22:52 MSK 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM, <cmrienzo at gmail.com> wrote:

> That university has switched back to Cisco.
>
> Yeah, they used Asterisk before FreeSWITCH was available and mature. The
problem they ran into with Asterisk at SHSU was they needed people full
time to baby sit their * servers and make ridiculous patches all day. They
ended up spending a lot of money on people. With Cisco, they get to spend
all that money on equipment, licensing, etc.

I don't know of any large campuses using FreeSWITCH. Depending on the needs
of the campus the CudaTel might work. Bare FreeSWITCH servers w/ OpenSIPS
would also be an interesting solution but you'll still need to have someone
be a "vendor" for support, etc. FSS will do support contracts on the
FreeSWITCH stuff but you still need someone for the OpenSIPS side. I know
Bogdan (from OpenSIPS) does that, as does Flavio Goncalves (OpenSIPS
trainer, author).

It sounds to me like you could save a bundle with OSS but it will take a
coordinated effort and you must definitely get experts to spec out the
install before hand.

-MC