[Freeswitch-users] TDM400P spans

Jeremy Johnson jeremy at acjlaw.net
Thu Feb 23 21:25:52 MSK 2012

I'm trying to convert from Asterisk to Freeswitch, and have a question about spans.

I read the freetdm configuration example for TDM400
and am wondering what exactly is a span.

I have 2 TDM400P cards in my computer,
one card has 2 FXS modules for connecting analog phones.
The other card has 3 FXO modules for connecting to  3 PSTN trunk lines.

# lsdahdi
### Span  1: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5"
  1 FXS        FXOKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
  2 FXS        FXOKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
  3 unknown    Reserved
  4 unknown    Reserved
### Span  2: WCTDM/4 "Wildcard TDM400P REV I Board 5" (MASTER)
  5 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
  6 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
  7 FXO        FXSKS       (In use) (EC: OSLEC - INACTIVE)
  8 unknown    Reserved

Do I configure freetdm as in the example for TDM400
with separate spans for each module like the following?
or should I have just two spans as shown by lsdahsi?
Thanks.

#cat freetdm.conf

[general]
cpu_monitor => yes
cpu_monitoring_interval => 2000  ; monitor usage every 2 seconds
cpu_set_alarm_threshold => 90    ; whenever 90% of global CPU usage is reached, trigger the alarm.
cpu_reset_alarm_threshold => 80 ; when the CPU usage decreases at 80%, clear the alarm.
cpu_alarm_action => reject,warn   ; Start rejecting calls when the CPU alarm is triggered and also print warnings.

; ANALOG PHONES
[span zt FXS1]
fxs-channel => 1
analog-start-type => kewl