[Freeswitch-users] external inbound sip call questions

Josh mojo1736 at privatedemail.net
Fri Feb 17 21:44:20 MSK 2012

A few questions to all knowledgeable heads out there: Everything I read
so far about how to set up and configure my FS external sip profile
tells me that I need to have IP address/interface and port (default
being 5080) to bind to in order to receive inbound calls via the
external sip profile.

Is that really the case? Is this the only way I could receive such calls?

The reason I am asking is this: my Internet-facing interface cannot
receive calls (or any connections from outside) unless it initiates
these connection first, simply because my ISP is blocking "server"
connections (i.e. connections initiated from outside, destined to my IP
address/interface). If my Internet-facing machine initiates the
connection first (therefore punching a "hole" through the ISPs
firewall), then that's allowed - no restrictions of any sort are applied
by my ISP.

So, I guess what I am asking is this: Is it possible to configure my
external sip profile in FS in such a way so that it does not listen to a
particular interface:port in order to receive external sip calls, but to
use the control channel/connection established to my external SIP
provider (on sip provider's IP address and port 5060) in order to find
out which ports to use and initiate rtp connections on my machine,
instead of waiting for such connections on a specific port? As I already
pointed out above - such connections initiated from outside will be
blocked by my ISP, but if these are started from my machine they will be
allowed, no problem.

Hope I am making myself clear with this. Many thanks!