[Freeswitch-users] Moving on from CentOS

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri May 6 21:13:44 MSD 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Brad Mina <brad at tritelcomm.com> wrote:

> I'd personally like to know some opinions on distros, being that I've been
> wanting to move FROM Ubuntu and TO CentOS for stability reasons. Ubuntu's
> packages update so frequently I'm afraid of newer libraries and such
> breaking FreeSwitch and/or the way things operate.

I don't know what's up with CentOS either, but I'm in no hurry to run away
from 5.6 right now. That being said, we've been having reports of success
with various distros. TJ (IRC: bougyman) has been having what he calls
"brilliant success" with Arch Linux, even when running AMD hardware. ;)
 I've personally used Debian Lenny for a while and I find it to be stable
and predictable. Moc has been experimenting with Scientific Linux and he has
also reported good success.

As it stands now, CentOS is still the "ol' reliable" of the distros and
still continues to be boring and predictable - just what we like. :)  I'm
about to migrate one of my test boxes to CentOS 5.6 and do some testing.
I'll report back any issues.

-MC