[Freeswitch-users] FreeSwitch/voip on EC2 or other cloud/virtual services

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:23:19 MSD 2011

I haven't personally, but I have seen some people on the list using EC2 for
FS. AFAIK it will work, essentially, for some value of work.

However, when running a realtime server such as FS on a virtual machine you
have to bear in mind that the guest OS has little control of timing. The
host can take away processing time unpredictibly for other tasks, especially
if the server is quite loaded. That means that keeping a constant timer
running can be tricky for FS to do, which is why you saw many people have
had clock and audio quality problems. Jitter buffers will cover it up, but
can only do so much.

How well it performs is probably best determined by setting it up yourself
and doing some testing.

-Steve