[Freeswitch-users] Mitel 3300 ICP "Multicall" Equivalent

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 22:47:17 MSK 2011

Hello list,

Our company is considering a migration from Mitel 3300 ICP to an
alternative platform, and of course FreeSwitch is a major contender,
being as we are not enamoured with "black boxes" and proprietary protocols.

There is a function in the Mitel that ideally we'd like to replicate (on
whatever hardphones are most appropriate). "Multicall" allows you to
assign one number to a button (other than the "main line" or default
extension) on several phones (up to 31 on the 3300) such that a call (or
any number of concurrent calls up to the number of phones configured
with that button)  to that number can be signalled on all phones and
picked up by anyone with that button configured on that phone. We use
that for calling direct to regional teams. No barging is allowed, and
the button only changes state (from off to flashing) when a call needs
answering on the multicall number. Said button assignment can be set to
either ring or not. Once the call has been answered by one user of the
multicall the light goes off on other configured extensions and another
incoming call can be answered in the same way by another extension,
regardless of the status of all other extensions with the same button
configured.

I was looking at the SCA/SLA stuff on the wiki, which is a close as I
could find to this behaviour, but barging is unwanted and we require the
line appearance, ringing and answering to be as described above.

My question, given the above, is:

1. If SCA is able to do this, what is the best phone to support it
(Polycom seems good from the wiki)
2. If SCA is not appropriate, I have the feeling that queues would be
the next best option - if these can be assigned to a button on the phone
so much the better.
3. BLF doesn't look right as it seems it needs at least one extension
with that as its "primary" number.

There is some flexibilty here, but to ease transition it would be best
to keep the functionality as close as possible.

IMHO the Mitel way is really odd but it's got a lot of traction having
been used here for 7 years+.

Thanks

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on the FSA Register; number: 190856)