[Freeswitch-users] newbie question: how do you set the folder that freeswitch uses for sounds?

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Feb 23 03:44:27 MSK 2011

Welcome to FreeSWITCH, btw! :)

These are all good questions that are answered on the wiki and in the
awesome FreeSWITCH book. For brevity's sake here's a quick overview:

When you specify an absolute path to a file, FreeSWITCH will always look in
the exact path that you specify, no questions asked.

When you specify a relative path then FreeSWITCH will be smart and look in
the sounds directory that correlates to the sampling rate of of the channel
where the file is being played. This means you should just install all the
sound files by issuing "make cd-sounds-install" and be done with it. (This
make command will install 8k, 16k, 32k, and 48k sound files.) You can play
around by using a phone that does 16k audio like most newer polycoms or even
x-lite.

Hope this helps.

-MC