[Freeswitch-users] Auto test FS install - now necessary?

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 20:01:59 MSK 2011

I guess we should try to be more like all the other open source
projects where every single day of GIT HEAD is perfect.
hmm....

The alternative is you can buy a soft-switch and live with it's faults
and pay annually for an update.
Or even wait for our official releases which are very infrequent and
not well-supported once they are more than a few months old.

Also don't forget we use FreeSWITCH in a real product so you don't
even see the amount of testing and QA we inherit from that product as
well as all the large carriers who use FreeSWITCH and do their best to
try beta version for us.  Thank you all.....

We have plans to stable branch soon.  I guess that means everyone will
flock to that and it will be the end of my beta testers.
We do not only get regressions from features we get them sometimes
from fixes as well, other peoples patches, many factors.

I guess what's really saddening since you bring up asterisk, is that I
spent years using it with perpetual problems in the release or the
daily snapshot and it sort of has a reputation for this kind of thing
and all you hear about is how awesome it is from people.  I don't
appreciate being treated like a witch hunt over one regression
especially when we can fix it in 1 minute.  That double-standard is
ridiculous.

I should just make a FAQ about this and paste in the URL:

We only have so much time to give to the world, we spend like 8-14
hours a day on average working on the code.
Any suggestions or improvements (even the ones with the best
intentions) are only viable if they come with volunteers.

Bottom line is by downloading and building the code you are opting in
to our community which involves occasional speed bumps.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM, jesse <chat2jesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not see any piece of unit testing code neither.
> Reliability is more important than feature. Asterisk is a good example of
> such case.
>
> I would recommend developers take a pause to add unit testing cases and auto
> integration testings.  Also enforce any future code must be accompanied by
> unit testing code.
>
> On Feb 3, 2011 9:47 PM, "Avi Marcus" <avi at avimarcus.net> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I've been seeing a lot of "I just
>> updated
>> to latest git and X broke"
>> And that x is always something else...
>> I'm not a seasoned coder on this magnitude, but perhaps we can develop a
>> test suite (at least part of one) to test that a fresh install is
>> functioning?
>> A FULL test would probably be a huge undertaking and involve recqual for
>> testing media, too... Also, each mod would need to have it's own test
>> suite.
>> Due to the rapid updating of FreeSWITCH this not be what you want to put
>> your effort into, but...
>> Thoughts?
>> On Feb 4, 2011 4:04 AM, "Anirudha Shimpi" <anu at familytv.com> wrote:
>>> Just downloaded (from git) and installed FS 1.0.7, however, every time I
>> do
>>> originate user/1001 &park, FS crashes. Running Centos 5.5 64 bit.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm