[Freeswitch-users] Asterisk and Freeswitch on the same machine!

Anita Hall anita.hall at simmortel.com
Thu Dec 29 15:40:57 MSK 2011

Hi friends

Since my efforts to find an open source solution for SS7 on freeswitch did
not meet any success, we had to resort to a cheap trick!

chan_ss7 <-> Asterisk <-> FreeSWITCH

where * and FS are on the same machine.

Since we wanted to do only 120 calls per machine, it has worked out pretty
well. Doing more than 150 calls is meeting a CPU bottleneck (surprisingly
from FS side!)

One interesting thing, we noted was that FS was taking considerably more
CPU cycles than Asterisk (sometimes thrice as much!) when the calls were
sent from Asterisk to FS. The dialplan on Asterisk was playing gsm audio
(demo context) while FS dialplan was just sleeping! I believe, this is
surprising?

When doing SIP calls from FS to Asterisk, the CPU loads are comparable. I
was under the impression that FS take less CPU cycles?

My team member is writing a report with all performance stats, shall share
when it is done.

Bye,
Anita.