[Freeswitch-users] Optimal configuration for compiling on 64-bit platforms

A E [Gmail] all.eforums at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 03:51:44 MSD 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Giovanni Maruzzelli <gmaruzz at gmail.com>wrote:

> Compiler options have nothing to do with libraries incompatibilities.
> Why don't you use the standard libraries given by your distro?
> Never heard someone had to compile ssl libs for FreeSWITCH.
> Also never heard someone used any compiler options on standard machines.
> FS is targeted toward 64bit OSes, most people use CentOS, Ubuntu and
> Debian. CentOS is by far the most used and the reference platform. On
> 64bit.
> That said, if you're trying to optimize it for a PIII, an EPIA 5000 or
> an ARM, or whatever is not a standard server class machine, yes you
> better know how to optimize :).

Trust me, I wouldn't want to be messing around with compiler options, custom
libraries and  custom kernel, but so far I've had to do ALL of that. I am
just having the hardest time having FS even compile for me. I wasted a bunch
of days on various versions of Solaris and then gave up and moved on to
linux thinking this will at least have me up and running and EVEN if there
was any proof that FS would run faster/better on Sparc hardware with the
latest Solaris then I'd compromise with lesser performing OS and since
Debian seems to be the choice of the masses when it comes to using anything
other than Solaris on a 64-bit Sparc hardware, I went with that. And now I'm
having trouble compiling it on this too. Such a shame! And I can't even
pin-point exactly which module it's crashing in...all I see is it's trying
to build libfreeswitch.la and goes through the installed ssl packages and
says they're incompatible and then fails since it can't find -lssl *sigh*

Like I said, I've already tried doing the vanilla ./bootstrap.sh &&
./configure && make but that don't work. So I HAVE to mess around with
compiler options and env variables...but which ones and what exactly?