[Freeswitch-users] Codec question: about the G729 codec

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:03:44 PDT 2010

On 24 September 2010 08:25, joy this <thisjoy0528 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all:
>

> I have some questions about the G729 codec. I will be appreciated if someone
> could help me.
>
> 1. If I want to modify the G729 codec, I must compile the module and
> substitute for the original one. Is it correct?

What's wrong with the existing codec?

> 2. It seems that there is an authentication server for G729. Should I need
> authentication when I use the modified G729 codec?

Legally G.729 must have a licence. mod_g729 doesn't support
transcoding (passthrough only) so has no need for a license.
mod_com_g729 does though, and that one requires a license server to
tell it how many licenses are available. The sourcecode for mod_g729
is available but for obvious reasons mod_com_g729 is not.

> 3. If I want to add my codec which is not in core, how to do it?

- Copy src/mod/mod_skel_codec to src/mod/codecs/mod_mycodec
- Add codecs/mod_mycodec to modules.conf (which won't exist until
after you bootstrap and configure)

mod_skel_codec shows you the basic interface for creating a codec
plugin. Check http://docs.freeswitch.org/ for API documentation and
the existing codecs for examples of how to write a codec.