[Freeswitch-users] Alphanumeric case sensitivity

Peter Hinman Peter.Hinman at ParcelPool.com
Sun Oct 3 11:36:54 PDT 2010

  Hi Michael - thank you for taking a look at the code.

The user_ID for User1 at example.com is lower case "user1", but the user is
able to successfully register as "User1".

Policy is good, but it's always nice to be able to enforce policy in
code.  Is there a way to force all registrations to match the case of
the User_ID? I haven't seen anything in the wiki or the book that seemed
to do that.

Here is an example of one of our user accounts from the directory - are
we missing something there?:

<user id="adam.smith" number-alias="1001" mailbox="1001">
<params>
<param name="password" value = "NotARealPassword"/>
<param name="vm-password" value = "****"/>
<param name="vm-email-all-messages" value = "true"/>
<param name="vm-attach-file" value = "true"/>
<param name="vm-keep-local-after-email" value = "true"/>
<param name="vm-mailto" value = "adam.smith at ParcelPool.com"/>
</params>
<variables>
<variable name="toll_allow" value="domestic,international,local"/>
<variable name="accountcode" value="1001"/>
<variable name="user_context" value="default"/>
</variables>
</user>

On 10/1/2010 4:35 PM, Michael Collins wrote:
> What's the user_id of "User1 at example.com <mailto:User1 at example.com>"?
> Is it "User1" or "user1"? (BTW, this is a classic example of why
> alphanumeric usernames are a bad idea in a telephony environment.)
>
> I would recommend that you enforce some policy, like always use all
> lower case. (I've poked around in the source code and I don't see any
> easy way to make alpha usernames be case insensitive.)
>
> -MC
>
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Peter Hinman
> <Peter.Hinman at parcelpool.com <mailto:Peter.Hinman at parcelpool.com>> wrote:
>
>      I'm trying to get FS working with alphanumeric UserIDs.  I'm running
>     into a problem when user1 registers using mixed case
>     (User1 at example.com <mailto:User1 at example.com>)
>     and then user2 tries to reach user1 by dialing "user1" instead of
>     "User1".
>
>     FS fails to make the connection between the two extensions and
>     reports:
>     [ERR] switch_ivr_originate.c:2648 Cannot create outgoing channel
>     of type
>     [error] cause: [USER_NOT_REGISTERED]
>
>     The dial plan string for bridging my internal users is:
>     <action application="bridge"
>     data="user/${dialed_extension}@${domain_name}"/>
>
>     Is there a way to use alphanumeric UserIDs and bridge calls between
>     internal extensions when the dialing user doesn't know exactly how
>     (upper, lower, mixed case) the destination user/extension registered
>     with FS?
>
>     --
>     Peter Hinman
>     ParcelPool.com