[Freeswitch-users] [Out of curiosity] Why not use a voice modem for FXO?

GillesToo codecomplete at free.fr
Thu May 27 07:04:16 PDT 2010

Most X100P clones don't use any kind of Silicon Labs chip. Whatever chip they
do use will probably not be programmed properly to match the line, because
the drivers don't support that. However, with the use of a decent echo
canceller you'll probably never notice. Use OSLEC with most X100P cards on
most lines around the world and the results should be pretty good.

Thanks for the clarification. I have a bunch of X10xP cards, and they all
have chips that say "Si". Unfortunately, the ones that have the supposedly
Europe-compatible chip (3014 + 3021)... I couldn't get to work on the
computers I have here. I guess it's a hardware issue.

Steve Underwood wrote:
> The only things those X100P cards can't do, which some more  complex FXO
> cards can, is detect line current breaks and reversals. Most lines around
> the world don't produce breaks or reversals so its not a major issue.
> Everything else is down to what the host software does.

Too bad no one followed the X10xP project and came up with a reliable,
entry-level card for SOHO users. $100 is almost the price of the PC on which
Freeswitch is running :-)

Thanks for the technical infos.