[Freeswitch-users] Simple IAX2 setup - help with converting from asterisk to freeswitch

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:56:26 PDT 2010

Well what IAX gives us on FreeSWITCH is random segfaults because the
protocol changed in a way
that made the IAX stack library we were using a deathtrap.  The authors of
IAX decided to change the protocol
so that it was not backwards compatible with their own previous work and due
to lack of resources we decided that removing it was the best way
to achieve stability.

IAX offers some nat relief with the 1 port strategy at the expense of the
stack implementation in user space.
Frankly the authors of this protocol failed to supply a robust reference
implementation of the protocol in a standalone license free package.  There
was one small library designed specifically for a standalone client (that's
the one we used) and as I explained, in the end, it failed us.

It then boils down to the business question: Do I want to chase after
marginal savings on my configuration and packet sizes at the expense of much
fewer calls and a serious risk of catastrophic failure caused by a poor
implementation?

SIP has its flaws as well, we don't have enough time to get into that, but
on FreeSWITCH it can scale much higher than IAX even when it was working
better (before they changed it).

You said you are new to VoIP (which is surprising based on your email addr)
so from your perspective what is it that you are looking for?

rtp packetization refers to sending more audio at once to reduce the
overhead of IP headers.
in FreeSWITCH you can configure your codecs to PCMU at 60i for instance to
bundle 3 typical packets into 1

BTW, No matter what you use, you will have little luck on a virtual machine
as your first experience.
I recommend you get a real box (multi-core 64bit) to play with.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm