[Freeswitch-users] Settings for maximum performance

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Wed May 19 13:22:57 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Max Clark <max.clark at gmail.com> wrote:

> So my sip profile now looks like this:
>
>    <param name="rtp-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
>    <param name="sip-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
>    <param name="ext-rtp-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
>    <param name="ext-sip-ip" value="$${local_ip_v4}"/>
>    <param name="stun-enabled" value="false"/>
>    <param name="stun-auto-disable" value="true"/>
>
> I didn't find anything in the sofia configuration for disabling nat
> which is why I have the -nonat on startup now. Is there another option
> I should be setting?

  Not really.  Remove the ext-*-ip params and you should be fine.

> Looking into these settings - what's sane for my usage?

  You probably don't need any of them.  Disable timers, CNG, and TCP.

> How do I size sessions & sessions per second based on the machine cpu/ram?

  You'll have to find out from testing with your config but I'm
assuming you'll want to go beyond the defaults.  You could probably
start by doubling or tripling the default values.

> Looking through the freeswitch.log file I do not see any output on
> timers - should I be looking somewhere else?

  Start FreeSWITCH with the console (-c).  Look at the output in the
first ~20 lines.  You'll see things about timers and tests.  Make sure
it doesn't issue a warning about audio quality and that the offset
isn't too large.

> I have proxy_media because we want to keep the RTP streams through our
> boxes (topology hiding), we were looking for better t.38 handling, we
> don't want to transcode, and it seemed okay to let the endpoints
> negotiate g.711 or g.729 on their own.

  T.38 requires proxy_media but other than that you may be better off
with the default bridging behavior.  It will proxy media and hide your
topology.  You can disable transcoding in the profile and/or have all
kinds of control over codec parameters in the dialplan in combination
with late-negotiation.

> I'm assuming that Dell PowerEdge servers aren't going to be an issue.

  If they're relatively new they should be ok but check
/proc/interrupts to make sure (look for MSI/MSI-X/APIC next to eth0,
eth1, etc).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org