[Freeswitch-users] Single Park & Retrieve Extension

Steven Ward steve.d.ward at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:42:47 PDT 2010

Hello list,

A useful feature (e.g. for an operator attendant console) is to have the
ability to park and retrieve a caller with the use of a single button.

The idea is to have a bank of BLF/speed-dial buttons (I've done this on
Aastra 6757i and Polycom 650), where each button represents a holding slot
(existing on the FreeSWITCH system) for callers.  Each slot can only hold
one caller.  If a caller is in the slot, your BLF light is on.  Press the
button and the caller is retrieved (you are connected with the caller).
Transfer another caller to that button (to that button's destination), and
the parked caller is retrieved from the slot and both callers are connected;
and the slot is now free again.  If a slot does not hold a caller, the light
is off.  Transfer a caller to that "button", and the caller is held in the
slot.

I know I appreciate the very useful mod_fifo module and the help I've gotten
from anthm on IRC in understanding the way FS does fifos.  With that
acquired understanding, I was able to implement the above feature with some
simple fifo config and some concise dialplan.

I just thought I'd share a little of this - especially since I'm under the
impression there have been others interested in implementing something like
this.

Here's one way of going about it, which has proven to be exactly what was
needed for a project I'm working on.

If you're interested, here is a little page I've written up to describe it:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Park_%26_Retrieve<%20http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Park_%26_Retrieve>

(Now linked to from the mod_fifo page examples section as well.)

- Steve