[Freeswitch-users] Question about SIP security

Mike van Lammeren mike at van.lammeren.net
Fri Jul 30 08:56:06 PDT 2010

We haven't published any SRV records. I assume that they found us by a port
scan. Our servers are open to the internet.

It turns out that the attackers did not gain entry to our system at all. At
first, I was a little freaked because there was nothing in the FreeSWITCH
logs to indicate what all the traffic was for. When I cranked up the log
level in the FreeSWITCH console, I could see that it was an endless series
of attempts to make a SIP connection, to which FreeSWITCH was responding
with a 401. We've since blocked that IP at our layer 3 switch.

The only reason we noticed was because these boxes should have had zero
traffic. Once these go into production, it would be much more difficult to
spot the attack.

This is probably not the forum for it, but anyone reading this might want to
check their traffic for this IP: 61.164.41.144

Mike van Lammeren

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Tony Graziano <tgraziano at myitdepartment.net