[Freeswitch-users] Scalable System

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Tue Jul 20 19:06:47 PDT 2010

I think option 2 is a pretty good option.

If you are able to bypass the media, once the call has been transferred, there is no longer any load
on the "director" server.  The only time it has to do any work is when a caller is dialing in and
using the IVR.

How are you connected to the outside world?  Is it a PRI circuit, or SIP?  External media gateway or
PRI card?

If you have a card in the machine, then all the media has to pass through the one FS box.  That's a
lot less work then conferencing, and with 1000 channels being possible, that's a lot of room to
grow.  If media is coming in via SIP (either via an external gateway or a SIP trunk), then the media
does not have to pass through the main box after the transfer has taken place, so your only real
scaling factor there is the number of simultaneous users in a specific conference on the conference
nodes.

If you really want to get fancy, FS broadcasts the number of current channels in it's heartbeat
event, so you could set up logic that chooses the least loaded conference node whenever a new
conference is to be set up.  That may only make sense if you load is a bit sporadic.  If it's more
predictable, that wouldn't be necessary and you could just group them numerically as you have suggested.

Good luck!

-Tim