[Freeswitch-users] .wav/.mp3 recording problems - lag

David Swardstrom dswardstrom at remotelink.com
Wed Jul 14 07:42:31 PDT 2010

A couple of questions and some suggestions.
I assume that you are connecting an incoming call to a local operator.
Which means that you actually are using two channels.

Since you are doing ACD work, you probably want to do call transfers from
one operator to another.
You may also want to allow call monitoring by a supervisor.
This means that you may at times have more than two channels active on the
call.

1. How are you doing the recording?

2. I may be wrong, but I think that the proper way to connect two channels
together is to bridge them.
   This is a form of conferencing.
   If you are not doing the recording from the conference, why not change
this.
   Then everything in the conference would be recorded.

3. Consider recording the information in WAV format.
   One note on some Wiki page comments that disk is now cheap and fairly
plentiful.
   Why waste FreeSWITCH real-time resources to create an MP3 file, record it
in WAV.

4. If you want an mp3 file, find a converter from WAV to MP3 or some other
format.
   Run this after the call/conference is over.

Note: MP3 does have some license considerations so if compression is the
main consideration,
then why not use some newer format that does not have license considerations
and may actually
give better compression.

Note: For some other reasons, we are going to write an Erlang program that
connects via mod_erlang_event
and will be able to determine the end of a conference and do any necessary
post processing.
If we were to need to compress the recording, this is where we would do it.

You could even put part the Erlang program on a separate system and put the
compressed recording on
the other system. Then once the file has been copied/compressed, it could be
deleted from the original system.