[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch - wholesale setup

Voip Newbie voipnewbie123 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:10:27 PDT 2010

Dear List,

I am new to voip and to freeswitch and I am trying to learn how to setup a
wholesale scenario using FreeSwitch. I have very little experience in
running wholesale voip business on voipswitch.

I know all or most of the answers to my questions are already either in wiki
or in list archive, and I am really sorry to email the list asking for help
but with the little knowledge I have its way over my head and I failed to
compile the information in right way to achieve any result, please forgive
me if these questions bother any of you at all.

Here is what I wish to achieve with FreeSwitch:

1) Setup username/password less accounts for customers with IP
authentication. One customer can have multiple IPs. Customer can send
traffic using SIP or H323 protocol. A prefix will be assigned to customer
for sending traffic. Eg. 1234 + Country code + Area code + Number.
2) Customer can be post paid or per paid, so need to disable customer's
ability to call when assigned credit limit is reached.
3) Setup providers (Gateways) which do not provide username/password for
authentication and do not require FreeSwitch to register with them,
FreeSwitch IP will be allowed to send traffic directly with a 3-4 digit
prefix. Provider can be on H323 or SIP either and can have multiple IPs (1
primary and other for fail-over)
4) Customer and providers need access to CDR. So we need to configure
Freeswitch the way that it can store CDRs in MySQL database, that database
can be accessed by a web application to show CDR on web.

*Hardware and OS info:*
CentOS 5.4 (Linux 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5PAE on i686)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz, 4 cores
4 GB RAM.
1 GIGABIT NIC with a Public IP address

*Progress so far:*
1) FreeSwitch installed with installation procedure at FreeSwitch Wiki (
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Installation_Guide#Download_Source_Tarball)
2) Registered and called already created extensions (1001,1002) from x-lite,
called echo extensions and everything worked fine.

*Questions:*
1) I can see there are 2 H323 mods available for FreeSwitch, which one is
better to use in production.
   a) http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/FreeSwitch_H323
   b) http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_h323
2) How and where (location in freeswitch conf) can I create customers, add
IP addresses to authorize without username and password, assign a prefix to
the customer? An example would be nice.
3) How and where (location in freeswitch conf) I can create gateways. An
example would be nice.
4) Where to create dialplan to route customer calls to provider. An example
would be nice.
5) How to manage credit assigned to customers, and how to bill the calls?
6) How to configure Freeswitch so that it can dump CDRs to a mysql database.
7) According to FreeSwitch feature list, it supports g723 and g729 in
pass-througe mode, so this means if both customer and providers support g729
& g723, calls will pass?
8) Is there any limit on g729 and g723 calls in pass-through mood?
9) Approx how many concurrent calls can FreeSwitch support in H323 and in
SIP based on the hardware info given above.

 Any pointers, help, links, examples will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Eric