[Freeswitch-users] Gateway Configuration

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Mon Jan 11 16:44:11 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale at activenetwerx.com>wrote:

> It seems there are two ways to configure an spa3102's fxo port w/
> pbx's, you can set the dial plan to <phone_#_of_pstn>@<freeswitch_ip>
> or <ext_to_dial>@<freeswitch_ip>.
>
> >From fs's perspective, what exactly is the difference here?
> Are there any significant differences between the two methods?
> Are there any best practices that should be considered?

I've only got a PAP2T (2 FXS) but from what you describe I'd say that it
makes sense for the FXO port to be "phone_#_of_pstn" and FXS to be
"ext_to_dial." I believe FS tries to be endpoint-type agnostic in this
scenario. It's a SIP call in and gets routed in the dialplan.

> Incoming sip did's and a zap line I had all were configured so that
> they entered the public context filtered by <phone_#>.
>
> If a call is coming in from an actual PSTN line then hitting the public
context makes a lot of sense.

> Most of the examples I see for setting up the spa don't function like this
> but a couple do?

As usual "it depends." However, the simplest rule of thumb would be that FXS
ports are analogous to SIP users and FXO ports are analogous to SIP
gateways.

Out of curiosity, what is your application?
-MC