[Freeswitch-users] Migrating from asterisk to FS

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Jan 5 16:46:07 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Nik Middleton <
nik.middleton at noblesolutions.co.uk> wrote:

>  HI Guys
>

> While I’ve been using FS for around 18 months now, and love it to bits,
> it’s been a specific solution.  I’m now looking to move my customer base
> across, and have on the base of it some basic and perhaps dumb questions.
>

> I currently have around 150 Sip phones attached to my systems   These are
> all geographically spread, so re-configuring them is out of the question.
> They all register on port 5060.  Given that FS uses port 5080 for external
> clients, do I simply need to do a Port translate on my firewall or is there
> a simpler solution?

FreeSWITCH doesn't *force* you to use port 5080 for inbound registrations.
You can, but it's not a requirement. Personally I just use the internal SIP
profile for those external phones wherever possible. The real issue is
whether or not you have a horrible NAT device in between FS and the Internet
connection. In my experience, if you have a decent NAT device that supports
UPnP (like the WRT54GL running Tomato firmware) then connecting external
phones to a FS box behind NAT using port 5060 just works. Give it a try and
let us know how it works.

> Further, how does FS handle a call FWD?  In other words, if a SIP phone has
> a divert on busy set will it account for the redirect?   Currently in
> Asterisk I use the ‘I’ option to disable this as I can’t account for the
> call.

When calling to a FS box or when FS calls another server?
-MC