[Freeswitch-users] Simple IAX2 setup - help with converting from asterisk to freeswitch

Rupa Schomaker rupa at rupa.com
Fri Feb 5 06:57:18 PST 2010

the lib that we used to provide iax support is pretty much abandonware (no
longer updated) and newer iax implementations (like latest asterisk) can
cause it to crash.  There are no license compatible iax implementations that
work, so.. mod_iax has been moved to the unsupported column.

Default passwords -- that is a single var in vars.xml that controls the
passwords.

number ranges - up to you.  The sample configs supplied are just that,
samples.  I use a smaller range personally.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Matthew Law <matt at webcontracts.co.uk> wrote:

> Why is that? - a lot of web pages I have read claim that IAX is more
> secure and efficient.  I have no problem with using SIP whatsoever and it
> certainly appears to be ubiquitous.  I am a complete newcomer to VoIP and
> I am trying to do this as securely as possible since I want to run
> freeswitch on a Xen VPS which will be visible on the internet.
>
> Anyway, since my first question, I have worked my way through the wiki,
> read a lot of example configs and made some sense of the docs.  I now have
> a very basic config working (with SIP) on a local vmware image using the
> 'quick and dirty' Makefile method.  I removed all of the example configs
> from the xml files (those default extensions and passwords scared me) and
> added just one for extension 1000, plus my dialplan and inbound/outbound
> settings.
>
> One question: is there any reason not to use a smaller extension number
> range, like 200-210, for example?
>
> Now to figure out how to get time based roaming working...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Matt.
>

> On Fri, February 5, 2010 6:43 am, Michael Jerris wrote:
> > iax2 support has been removed from FreeSWITCH in current trunk and will
> > not be in the 1.0.5 release.
> >
> > Mike

-Rupa