[Freeswitch-users] Simple IAX2 setup - help with converting from asterisk to freeswitch

Matthew Law matt at webcontracts.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 05:53:49 PST 2010

Why is that? - a lot of web pages I have read claim that IAX is more
secure and efficient.  I have no problem with using SIP whatsoever and it
certainly appears to be ubiquitous.  I am a complete newcomer to VoIP and
I am trying to do this as securely as possible since I want to run
freeswitch on a Xen VPS which will be visible on the internet.

Anyway, since my first question, I have worked my way through the wiki,
read a lot of example configs and made some sense of the docs.  I now have
a very basic config working (with SIP) on a local vmware image using the
'quick and dirty' Makefile method.  I removed all of the example configs
from the xml files (those default extensions and passwords scared me) and
added just one for extension 1000, plus my dialplan and inbound/outbound
settings.

One question: is there any reason not to use a smaller extension number
range, like 200-210, for example?

Now to figure out how to get time based roaming working...

Thanks,

Matt.