[Freeswitch-users] Fw: need some hints on Softswitch deployment of FreeSwitch

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Feb 4 11:45:05 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Prabin Shrestha <nepaligas at yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
are deep subjects. Give yourself a lot of time to learn - you've got a long
road ahead.

> I have been finding so many problems and IRC thing I don't understand.
> Basically, I am just a average linux user running Ubuntu, trying to build a
> softswitch. It there was some book on freeswitch it would have been much
> easier for newbie like me.
>
> Be careful what you wish for! ;) In the meantime you can check out this
article from Linux Pro magazine:
http://bit.ly/EpVrv

Also, are you installing from the source? We much prefer to see people on
the SVN trunk and installing from source. Using the Q&D install is very easy
and is very predictable. Check this out:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Quick_and_Dirty_Install

Here are some problems I have been facing.
> After installation, I found freeswitch in /opt/freeswitch directory.
> only creating freeswitch user, I can access it's fs_cli, and I have yet to
> learn the power of it.
> doing ps -A, I found freeswitch is running in background.
>
> Now comes the hard part.
> I wanted to test it using SPA3000 device with fxo and fxs ports, which
> after following guides in net,  is not working for me.
>
> Is the SPA3000 the old Sipura version of the newer Linksys/Cisco SPA3102? 1
FXO and 1 FXS port, right? The FXS ports are easy to configure - you just
need to have the Phone port register to FreeSWITCH as a user. The FXO port
is a bit more challenging because you have to handle inbound and outbound
calls differently. It would take too much time to write up how to do it here
in this email. I would look at the principles found here:
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/SPA400_FreeSwitch_HowTo

> My reqirement is,
> 1. to run freeswitch as a softswitch which can route calls from voip call
> providers to Quintum gateways.
>
> Should be doable. Anything crazy or unusual about the Quintum gateways?

> 2. to have complete CDR reports generated to sql database.
>
> Totally doable, just you need to do it after the call completes. FS always
writes CSV CDRs to disk. You can use the SQL CDR template to create easily
loadable CDR records that can drop right into a MySQL/PostgreSQL/etc. db
backed. (You can also use mod_xml_cdr but that's a much more difficult
proposition, so get to know FS first before going to the deep end of the
pool.)

> Some light on this matter will be highly appreciated.
>
> Relax and breath. This is a really long and drawn out process. It just
takes a lot of time and patience to learn it all. Sorry, there just aren't
any shortcuts.
-MC