[Freeswitch-users] skypiax dtmf detection issue on Freeswitch

Scott Torr scott.torr.fs at letterboxes.org
Wed Feb 3 23:16:10 PST 2010

Hi Majdi,

It is good to know that once the audio stream is in the right 'format',
Freeswitch is able to decode the DTMF's to digits. (as best it can given
the potential jitter and lossy quality of the signal)

I'm sure someone on the list has the answer and it will quite simple.

So here we go:

How do we convert the audio stream from mod_skypiax into to a suitable
format that <action application="start_dtmf" /> can attempt to decode
the 'Inband' DTMF tones into digits?

At present it seems that the decoder will not work on a 16Kbps stream.

Perhaps this has been explained and not understood?

Ideally Skype would decode the DTMF tones ingress to the Skype network
at the PSTN-Skype gateway and pass on as out of band signaling. Either
through bad design or intentionally they do not. It seems though at some
locations (New Zealand) they did, then did not?

Perhaps on their paid for (approx $9 AUD per month) SIP trunks they do?
Or is this just as hit and miss as well?
Does any body have any experience with those?

-Scott