[Freeswitch-users] [announce] First release of Java ESL Client library

david varnes david.varnes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 07:06:14 PDT 2010

Hi FreeSWITCHERs,

I have finally got around to lining up all the bits I wanted in order to do a
first release (version 0.9.2) of the Java ESL Client that has been in the
freeswitch-contrib git repository for some time now.

First thanks to the people who checked it out, compiled it and reported
some bugs. (I believe I have fixed them all :-)

I have created a couple of new wiki pages for the Java and ESL topics:

[1] to cover the various options that I know about to use Java for
connecting to the very useful and versatile Event Socket. If there are
other options or info, you know what to do, it is a wiki.

[2] to describe my contributed Java ESL Client, with download, compile,
and basic usage documented.

The details are there, a quick summary of this client library features:
 * Apache License (ASL) version 2
 * Standalone ready to use Inbound client
 * Framework classes to very easily create an Outbound socket client
 * based on the excellent Netty [3] nio library
 * logging via slf4j
 * only runtime dependencies are slf4j-api and netty (MIT and Apache licensed)
 * single jar which is a valid OSGi bundle
 * built using maven,
 * jar, source and javadocs available from maven central (GPG signed)
 * source is committed as an eclipse project
 * good coverage of java docs

Now it is available as released binary jars it is easier to experiment with.

Roadmap:
Tentative next steps are outlined in [2] and a TODO file in git.
After wider usage and feedback on the API design I would aim to release
a version 1.0 and then simply track any ongoing changes in the core
FreeSWITCH ESL.

I enjoy getting feedback if you find it useful or have issues, patches
or enhancement ideas.  I know a few projects around the place have
been using it even in un-released state  :-)

Hope it finds use out there ...

davidv

[1] http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Java_ESL
[2] http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Java_ESL_Client