[Freeswitch-users] freeswitch CPU usage

Vincent Stemen vince.freeswitch at hightek.org
Sun Aug 22 10:53:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 05:29:31PM +0800, Woody Dickson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing some experiments with Freeswitch by torturing it to see how
> the machine's CPU response to heavy loaded situation.
> The test is done on a 16 core 5550 dual quad core server running
> fedora 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.x86_64 OS.
>
> What I found so strange was that while CPU usage remains pretty low
> and distributed among all cores at 190 - 200 calls per second.  Then,
> after added a few more calls per second, all CPU becomes fully
> utilized.
>
> Is this due to some wrong setting?  Any idea how I can tweak the
> configuration and continue my test?
>
> Thanks,
> Woody

Hi Woody.

I would hazard to guess that this could be a Linux resource management
issue.  I don't have any experience with SMP on Linux, but Linux has
a long history of memory management (among other) problems.  We ran
Linux exclusively on all our servers and workstations for over 10 years
before finally switching to BSD several years ago.  We had continuous
problems ranging from minor strange unexplained behaviours, as you
describe, to what appeared to be bugs in applications, to outright
crashes and freezes of the whole OS every day.  When we switched to BSD
nearly all the problems went away.  Even some of the (what appeared to
be) bugs in Linux binary applications went way, going from Linux to BSD
running under Linux emulation (without re-compiling), using the same
Linux libraries on the same hardware.

An interesting test would be to try the same load test with BSD on the
same machine and see if you get a similar result.

Regards,
Vince