[Freeswitch-users] Proxy Media and Codec Prefer

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon Aug 16 01:39:57 PDT 2010

I use proxy_media as a default because i use only mobile clients.

In mobile networks there are good chance that FS NAT detection does not
work.

That's because several mobile carriers use as "internal ip address" IP
that are not inside the standard 192.168/16 10/8 and 172.16/16 networks.

For example H3G in italy use 1/8 networks and in other countries there
are other fancy approach that are unpredictable.
In such condition proxy_media is the only solution to have a 100%
working solution, otherwise in a X% of the case on some mobile operator
it will just don't work.

And following all the "particular" internal networks that mobile
operators follow is not a good way to manage the issue as there are too
many mobile operators in the world and too many different internal
network conditions.

It would be really nice to have some kind of "dynamic" approach, like
the ones provided by ICE, that are client-independent and server-side
based to handle such particular issues (IE: without the ability to rely
on client IP address being inside a particular network).

Fabio