[Freeswitch-users] GPL Wins Again

Jan Berger jan.berger at video24.no
Thu Aug 12 09:09:07 PDT 2010

Many large companies do that. They use OSS and can't contribute OSS back,
but are happy with some employees using parts of their time here maintaining
the bits they use.

Glad it worked out for you Mike.

<snip>

Another perfect example of corporate contribution to open source would be
FreeSWITCH itself.  I am an employee of Barracuda Networks, and part of my
job is to contribute to FreeSWITCH.  This is also the case for some other
members of the core FreeSWITCH team.  We spend considerable time working on
open source software, but also depend on the contributions of the community
at large.  Open source and corporate involvement seem to me to be a perfect
match with winners on both sides.  There will always be those people and
companies that will try to take advantage of this without contributing back,
but this is nearly impossible.  There is inevitably bug reports and fixes
that will come from these organizations when they have issues, or
contracting revenue to some member of the community when they need help.  We
all contribute in some way.  This is how open source ecosystems work,
requiring both selfless personal and corporate involvement.

FreeSWITCH was designed from the start in both architecture and licensing to
attract the most of both personal and corporate use as a way to build a
larger more vibrant community of developers building a wide range of
solutions.  Over the last year we have seen the release of Cudatel
(http://www.cudatel.com), of a book (https://www.packtpub.com/), open source
web user interfaces such as 2600hz project blue.box (http://www.2600hz.org)
and FusionPBX (http://www.fusionpbx.com/).  Features added this year such as
T.38 support, Broadsoft SCA support, and sip high availability support would
all not have happened without corporate support, and FreeTDM is now
maintained by Sangoma.  The addition and maintenance of many freeswitch
modules are now supported entirely by individuals such as mod_vmd and
mod_avmd contributed by Eric des Courtis and mod_limit/hash/db by Rupa
Schomaker.

I'd personally like to thank all members of the FreeSWITCH community for all
your ongoing support.

Mike