[Freeswitch-users] How to configure g729 pass though on Freeswitch

Frank Church vfclists at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 2 05:03:19 PDT 2010

On 2 April 2010 10:23, Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net> wrote:
> Frank Church <vfclists at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I am just trialling Freeswitch with Linksys adapters, whose default
>> codec I have set to G729 with 'Use Pref Codec Only:' set to no.
>> When I change that setting to 'yes' the calls don't go through. I am
>> using the latest Windows SVN.
>
> FreeSWITCH only supports G.729 in pass-through mode (i.e., with bypass media
> enabled). Apparently you can buy a G.729 licence for FreeSWITCH if you really
> need it.
>
> My recommendation would be to use a codec other than G.729 unless you have a
> compelling reason, for example a carrier that only supports G.729.

The carrier insists on G729, although they can accept G711. I think
their call volume does not make it easy on them and their customers as
well.

I did some googling and came up with freeswitch-codec-passthru-g729. I
have also read http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Proxy_Media and
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Bypass_Media.
In my module.conf.xml there is also <load module="mod_g729"/>.

Does that mean that my installlation is configured for pass thru if I
make the right adjustments?

I have looked at
http://www.mail-archive.com/freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org/msg12303.html
and http://www.mail-archive.com/freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org/msg20949.html
which speak of modifying the dialplan.

This is a basic freeswitch setup using the defaults. I just added the
extensions to conf/directory/default and changed the provider in
vars.xml and I want to be able to do the same in
conf/dialplan/default.xml.

In conf/dialplan/default.xml the extension is matched by the
destination. Is there an option for not falling through to other
extensions if they also match?

Frank Church