[Freeswitch-users] Mod_pjsip

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Sat Oct 31 19:57:32 PDT 2009

As the other reasons have already been covered about the history of
mod_pjsip, I'll just make a few comments here:

If someone is really interested in resurecting mod_pjsip, the code is
around here somewhere (although I can't find it on my quick look).
Just let us know.

The licensing is not really an issue, that was resolved long ago.

There is no major thread safety issue in sofia.  There are some minor
issues which we easily address in the module and an interest in thread
pooling, which would increase performance.

pjsip and sofia always performed quite similar to each other, they are
both quite good sip libraries

We had extensive thread safety and race condition issues in pjsip that
never got resolved while we were using it.  It is quite possible they
have been fixed sense, but many months were spent trying to fix them
to no success.

We already support ice in the freeswitch rtp stack.  A sip stack
supporting ice and turn does little for us and would be the worst way
to implement it in freeswitch.  Sofia already supports sdp parsing for
all of this, if you are interested in ICE/TURN support in freeswitch,
it needs to be done in the RTP stack mostly, regardless of which sip
stack.

Sofia has been shown to run well already in embedded environments.

Mike